Pyttipanna is a classic dish from Sweden. It’s a dish made from diced potatoes, meat and onions. It’s traditionally served with fried eggs and pickled beets. Parsley is also common as a topping.
Here you have a recipe for a classic Swedish pyttipanna that you can cook for lunch or dinner. It’s a dish that is loved by both kids and adults!
Pyttipanna is not only a delicious dish but is also quite easy to make. It only takes about 30 minutes to cook this dish. It's a classic in the Swedish cuisine that's just as popular among kids as adults. It can also be made vegetarian replacing the meat with vegetables, halloumi or meatless meat. Pyttipanna without potatoes
If you want to make pyttipanna without potatoes, you can replace the potatoes with root vegetables such as turnips, carrots, parsnips and celeriac, etc.
If you're a vegetarian, you can replace the meat with halloumi. Halloumi is delicious and gives some saltiness to the dish.
Pyttipanna is not only a delicious dish but is also quite easy to make. It only takes about 30 minutes to cook this dish.
It's a classic in the Swedish cuisine that's just as popular among kids as adults. It can also be made vegetarian replacing the meat with vegetables, halloumi or meatless meat.
Pyttipanna without potatoes
More about Pyttipanna
Pyttipanna is a classic dish in Sweden that’s also popular in the other Nordic countries. In Denmark it’s called “biksmad”, however, the meat and potatoes are not diced. In Finland, pyttipanna is called “pyttipannu” and in Norway it is called “pytt i panne”.
There are various theories on how the dish got its name. Some believe that “pytt” means “small things” in Swedish, which would translate the dish into “small things in a pan”.
More versions of the classic pyttipanna recipe:
- Pytt Bellman / Doppsko – Stewed pyttipanna
- Biff Greta – The meat is seasoned with mustard
- Biff Rydberg – Made from high quality meat and fried potatoes. Served with a raw egg yolk.
- Kycklingpytt – Made with diced chicken
- Laxpytt – Replacing the meat with salmon
- Vegetarisk Pytt – The meat is replaced with diced halloumi, root vegetables, tofu or Quorn.
- Trädgårdspytt – Made with diced root vegetables and potatoes. Spiced with rosemary and thyme.
- Krögarpytt – Beef is used for this recipe and the dish is more finely chopped with smaller pieces.
Have you tried my pyttipanna recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments below!